#2 08 Oct 2018 02:15 pm
I used to look after a friend’s dog on many occasions - whilst her owner was working during the day, or when her owner visited her mother in Spain. She was a black Labrador/retriever cross, and very friendly. She lost her eyesight when she became older, but I gather blindness isn’t as big a problem for a dog as it is for a human. The saddest part was when her hips started to fail, and we used to take her for "walks" in a wheelbarrow. However, she lost the wag in her tail, and we decided that she no longer had any enjoyment in her life. It was a this point that my friend had to decide if it was better to keep her alive, and in constant discomfort, or if she should let her slip away. The decision was to give her a bar of chocolate, which she loved, but which is poisonous for dogs, and let her enjoy that whilst lying on her favourite beanie bag. The vet then gave her a painless injection.